mtDNA haplogroup: H1c

Re: HomeDNA

Post by Elysium » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:03 pm

Arcadiaville wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:59 am
Elysium wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:49 pm
I'm curious of your migration paths if you don't mind showing them :D
Well, I can only see one migration route in my online results, Migration B. :? I must be doing something wrong but have tried every link and button available. Anyhow, the algorithm seems off to not score your results much higher than mine in the Fenno-Scandian population pool. However, your Germany migration path seems appropriate.

Edit: My test result is for $39 raw DNA upload - GPS Origins only. However, the test description references 2 migration journeys so I will try to figure out what I am doing wrong on the website.
Hmm, maybe the A and B migrations are the same? I can faintly see a red circle around the second marker. But I think it would be strange of them not to mention them both, if that would be the case. Have you tried writing to customer service?

Hehe yeah, but it seems Sweden isn't highlighted in the Fennoscandinavian category while Southern France is. I wonder if the Fennoscandinavian-samples have more eastern influences, especially eastern hunter and gatherers (EHG)? I remember reading about EHGs coming from the steppes, wandering through northern Finland, northern Sweden and later on northern Norway where they continued alongside the Norwegian coast. If that is the case, coastal Norwegians (NW and W) might have a higher percent of EHG than their midland-bretheren. Just speculations on my part though :)

Yeah, the Germany path seems very plausable! I wouldn't be extremely surprised if the Urkainian path would be true either. I wonder if it might come from my mother's side since my maternal haplogroup is H1c and it's, to quote Eupedia.com, "found especially in Eastern Europe, Central Asia and North Asia / / found in Neolithic Germany and in Bronze Age Latvia". It's all so interesing! :D

Arcadiaville
Ethnicity: British Isles Mostly

Post by Arcadiaville » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:39 pm

I tried to find my old GPS Origins report taken on 2016 as I remember that it showed multiple migration paths. However, I discovered that they have fully moved to the Home DNA company. I will write to Customer Service to determine why I only see one path on the new website.

I did a little research on GPS Origins and found this very disparaging review from a Tech writer who took the test:

GPS Origins review: Untrustworthy DNA test results make its rivals look all the more appealing
The test falls short in nearly every way.

There’s just one big problem with GPS Origins’ approach: Genetics experts have major concerns about the accuracy of the test.

According to genetic genealogist Debbie Kennett, the test is based on questionable science that claims to pinpoint the village someone’s DNA hailed from. That may sound amazing, but some people have been told they come from a village in the middle of the ocean.

Archaeology professor Andrew Millard of Durham University also found fault with the research that GPS Origins is based on, concluding that “the mathematical methods described are incoherent, the supplementary data is not that used to create the figures or equations in the paper, and the supplementary code does not implement the methods described. The paper is methodologically unsound and not reproducible."

The reviewer's results show the same top 3 populations and similar % to me in spite of him having over 15% non-European ancestry (& I have no known non-Euro ancestry but may be 0.1 to 1% in reality if all DNA tests are considered):

My results were also wild. Apparently I’m 9.8 percent Indian, 2.7 percent South American, and 2.1 percent Northwestern African. My top regions were Scandinavia at 20.1 percent, Southern France at 13.4 percent, and the Orkney Islands in Scotland at 13 percent. These results are a far cry from the information I’ve gotten from other tests.

Lena France

Post by Lena » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:11 pm

Do you think it is interesting doing this test or not ? What is the difference between the 39€ test and the 199 test ? Thank you

Topic author
Redbeard United States of America

Post by Redbeard » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:58 pm

Elysium wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:49 pm
Arcadiaville wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:43 pm
Redbeard wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:11 pm

Out of curiosity, what were the remaining pools (just to check my assumption). Thanks!
Ah, I have 2 Indian populations adding to approx. 11%:
Gene Pool Percentages
Complete Results
#1 Fennoscandia 23%

Origin: Peaks in the Iceland and Norway and declines in Finland, England, and France
#2 Southern France 14.1%

Origin: Peaks in south France and declines in north France, England, Orkney islands, and Scandinavia
#3 Orkney Islands 13%

Origin: Peaks in the Orkney islands and declines in England, France, Germany, Belarus, and Poland
#4 Basque Country 10.7%

Origin: Peaks in France and Spain Basque regions and declines in Spain, France, and Germany
#5 Western Siberia 9.9%

Origin: Peaks in Krasnoyarsk Krai and declines towards east Russia
#6 Southeastern India 7.9%

Origin: Endemic to south eastern india with residues in Pakistan
#7 Sardinia 6.5%

Origin: Peaks in Sardinia and declines in weaker in Italy, Greece, Albania, and The Balkans
#8 Tuva 6.2%

Origin: Peaks in south Siberia (Russians: Tuvinian) and declines in North Mongolia
#9 Northern India 2.6%

Origin: Peaks in North India (Dharkars, Kanjars) and declines in Pakistan
#10 Northwestern Africa 1.9%

Origin: Peaks in Algeria and declines in Morocco and Tunisia
#11 Pima County: The Sonora 1.7%

Origin: Peaks in Central-North America and declines towards Greenland and Eskimos
#12 Central America 1%

Origin: Peaks in Mexico and Central America with residues in Peru
#13 Austronesian Southeast Asia 0.7%

Origin: Peaks in Taiwan and Malay and declines in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, and South China
#14 The Southern Levant 0.5%

Origin: This gene pool is localized to Israel with residues in Syria
#15 Western South America 0.3%

Origin: Peaks in Peru, Mexico, and North America and declines in Eastern Russia
I'm curious of your migration paths if you don't mind showing them :D
Sorry, don’t think I ever responded to your question. I posted the migration paths early on page 1.

Topic author
Redbeard United States of America

Post by Redbeard » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:00 pm

Lena wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:11 pm
Do you think it is interesting doing this test or not ? What is the difference between the 39€ test and the 199 test ? Thank you
I’m saying this without looking, but I believe the cheaper amount is to upload your dna file, while the larger is for them to send you a kit.

Return to “other”