The new Harappan DNA paper

Topic author
Dilawer Pakistan

The new Harappan DNA paper

Post by Dilawer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:31 am

I have posted my take on the recent paper "An Ancient Harappan Genome Lacks Ancestry from Steppe Pastoralists or Iranian Farmers" at https://eurasiandna.com/an-ancient-hara ... -critique/
Earlier this month the much awaited Bronze Age Indus Valley Civilization (IVC) paper on the Harappan genomes was released. Unfortunately, only one of the sampled skeletons yielded usable DNA fragments. The main conclusions of the paper, which relied primarily on this single sequenced genome, named I6113, and 11 previously sequenced BA individuals in Narasimhan et al, from sites in cultural contact with IVC from Eastern Iran and Turkmenistan, were:

- The individual I6113, was from a population that is the largest source of ancestry for South Asians;
- Iranian-related ancestry in South Asia split from Iranian plateau lineages >12,000 years ago;
- First farmers of the Fertile Crescent contributed little to no ancestry to later South Asians.

The authors are commended for their in-depth analysis which led to these conclusions, and the conclusions are reasonable and their methodology is robust, however, the genomic data used to arrive at those conclusions is the weak link in the chain. Our findings which are based on our previous work with aDNA and present analysis of Rakhigarhi I6113 outlines the reasons for this statement.
EurasianDNA.com - A study of the population history of Eurasia with an emphasis on the demography of West & South Asia

Return to “Ancient DNA (aDNA)”